Trekking is a rewarding activity that will offer you once-in-a-lifetime experiences. It is challenging to jump into it without prior knowledge or preparation. Here are some of the best beginner trails that are popular with trekkers. Along with that, here are some beginner tips to get you started on your trekking life.
The Deserts and Canyons of America
If you are looking to stay in the country, then there is no better place to start trekking than the southwest of the United States. You can visit Death Valley, Bryce Canyon, Monumental Valley, and the Grand Canyon back to back. If you have yet to see several classic landscapes and National Parks, then this trek is perfect for you! You can spend however long on this trip; however, if you plan to see everything, you will need two weeks minimum to walk across these landscapes.
Annapurna and Everest
If you can travel to the Himalayas, consider trekking along Nepal’s mountain ranges. You can visit some of the famous trails located on Annapurna and Everest. During this trek, you will encounter many wondrous sights and capture the true beauty of the Himalayas. Thankfully this trip is easily accomplished year-round as long as you stay on the true. The Himalayas are a viable option if you want to trek in the winter. All-in-all, you can spend 15 days on this trip before you run out of things to do.
If you want a location that is rich in history, then consider going to Cuba. The easy trails make it a perfect location for your first time trekking. Cuba is also a great place to visit if you appreciate nature. The landscapes and the animals are brimming with life making it a trip you will never forget. You will travel through Topes de Collantes and see waterfalls and caves. You could wind up in the Sierra Maestra National Park, visit Castro’s revolutionary base, La Comandancia, and climb Cuba’s highest peak. This trip will take 15 days to complete, so come prepared!
The Canadian Rockies
If you want to see glaciers, limestone caves, mountain landscapes, and deep canyons, go to Canada. The Canadian Rockies is located by Canmore, Banff, and Lake Louise, containing many National Parks to explore along the way. This trip is shorter; it only takes seven days to trek if you follow a strict path.
As a beginner trekker, you want to make sure you have a memorable and safe experience on your first trek. Here are some essential tips for a successful first trek:
- Start Slow: Don’t rush into a challenging trek right away. Start with shorter and easier trails to get a feel for the activity and build your stamina and confidence.
- Plan Ahead: Do your research, plan your route, and ensure you have the necessary equipment, such as a good pair of shoes, a backpack, and a tent or sleeping bag.
- Pack Light: Keep your backpack light and pack only what you need. Avoid overpacking, as it can slow you down and cause discomfort.
- Train Beforehand: Before going on a trek, make sure you’re in good physical condition. Go for long walks and hikes, and gradually increase your intensity and distance.
- Hydrate and Eat Well: Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and eating nutritious foods. Bring enough food for your entire trek, and consider bringing snacks for energy.
- Respect the Environment: Follow Leave No Trace principles and dispose of your waste correctly. Avoid damaging the environment and respect wildlife.
- Stay on the Trail: Stay on designated trails and avoid straying from the path. This will prevent you from getting lost and damaging the environment.
- Be Prepared for Emergencies: Bring a first-aid kit for unexpected weather changes and emergencies. Know basic first-aid skills and be familiar with the area’s wildlife.
Following these tips, you’ll have a memorable and safe experience on your first trek. Remember to take it slow, plan ahead, and respect the environment. Happy trekking!
Experience Outdoor Living!
At Omni Outdoor Living, our mission is to help our customers make the most of their outdoor experiences. We offer quality outdoor products focused on outdoor recreation, DIY projects, entertaining friends and family, or just relaxing outside! If you have questions about your outdoor experience or our wide range of outdoor products, don’t hesitate to contact us today!